With the aim of enhancing the safety, flow regularity and efficiency of air navigation SMATSA llc provides meteorological service in accordance with the ICAO Annex 3. Meteorological service for international air navigation provided by SMATSA llc includes:
- Meteorological observations and reports,
- Continuous monitoring of meteorological conditions at the aerodromes and in the area of jurisdiction of the Air Traffic Control Center,
- Meteorological forecasts and warnings,
- Briefing, consultation and flight documentation,
- Providing required meteorological information to the aeronautical users,
- Exchange of meteorological information and
- Continuous VHF VOLMET broadcast.
SMATSA llc has undertaken all the necessary activities concerning improving the process of supervising and monitoring of the quality of aerodrome observations, reports, meteorological forecasts and warnings. Automatic systems which provide collecting, processing, dissemination and display of the information on the wind, pressure, temperature and dew-point temperature in the real time, have been installed at all aeronautical meteorological stations, and additional information on runway visual range and cloud ceiling is available at Belgrade airport (CAT IIIb).
Through SADIS and EUMETSAT all aerodrome MET offices and Area Meteorological Watch Office (MWO) Beograd, receive all the necessary meteorological information required for the aircraft operation. Apart from that, synoptic data, as well as information on upper winds and upper-air temperature are received through the Republic Hydrometeorological Service of Serbia. Aeronautical OPMET messages are sent to the Republic Hydrometeorological Service of Serbia, which forwards them to the international operational meteorological data bank. This process can also be realized by using AFTN within MWO Beograd. All the mentioned technical components have been set up in such a way that they can be upgraded easily by installing updated hardware and software.